Monday, October 15, 2012

Cauliflower & Cheese Patties


It's time for the Secret Recipe Club (SRC) again. This month, I was assigned the blog Hezzi-D's Cooks and Books, written by Heather. She has a very extensive recipe index on her blog and I thought it would be very difficult to settle on just one. That is, until I came across this recipe. Now, as a kid (and today, still) I did and do not like (cooked) cauliflower. (A few years back, I actually started eating raw cauliflower - it's crunchy and juicy and doesn't that particular flavor that puts me off when the vegetable is cooked.) The only way I would eat it, was in the form of cauliflower-cheese-patties which we bought from a frozen food truck that was coming by about once a month. I had been looking into some recipes for these patties for a while and it was on top of "want to cook" list. So when I came across Heather's recipe for Cauliflower Cheese Fritters, I immediately knew this would be my SRC choice. Heather, in turn, adapted the recipe from Colie's Kitchen. The only major change I made to the recipe, is that I added more cheese (substituting Gouda for cheddar); and instead of grating it, I cut it into cubes. The cheese cubes were probably the part I liked most in my childhood patties. Let me tell you, this recipe was a great success with my picky eaters! HubbyGrouch is in general not a great fan of this kind of patties, and I knew he wouldn't be too thrilled about cauliflower, either. But he loved the combination of all the different textures (slightly crunchy cauliflower, soft melted Gouda, brown crust on the outside) and cheesy taste. As for LittleGrouch, I hardly ever saw him finish his dinner so quickly and without complaints (he did complain somewhat before taking the first bite but then his prejudices were silenced). He even requested to take the leftovers for his pre-school lunch the next day! Needless to say, this can be found again on our meal plan in the near future.



Ingredients:
150 g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs
125 ml (1/2 cup) milk
2 tsp minced garlic
350 g chopped or grated cauliflower
200 - 250 g Gouda cheese, diced
oil

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, eggs, milk, and garlic. Fold in cauliflower and cheese. Let rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Spray a large skillet with oil and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, place large spoonfuls of the cauliflower-cheese-batter into the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes, then turn over cook for another 2 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve hot with sour cream and a side salad or vegetables.


6 comments:

  1. So glad your entire family enjoyed this recipe! It's a great side dish and one that I can get my niece and nephews to eat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never eaten cauliflower patties - but they sound so good! I bet the Gouda makes them extra scrumptious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Cauliflower Cheese Patties look delicious, we would love them. Great selection for the SRC.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love finding "memory recipes" What a great treat for being in SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you found a recipe with such good memories and history attached to it! And I must say - the cauliflower cheese patties look YUMMY!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm one of those "can't stop eating cauliflower" people. I know I'd love this! And throw in Gouda and this is a must try.

    ReplyDelete