Monday, September 10, 2012

Potato Chip Chicken (or Turkey)


It's SRC (Secret Recipe Club) time again. This month, I was assigned the blog From Grandma Loy's Kitchen, written by Loy. She has a lot of recipes and I was beginning to think that I'd have a very hard time making a decision about which one to prepare. That was until I saw the recipe for Potato Chip Chicken. I had seen similar recipes before and it was on the back of my head to try one some. The SRC was a perfect opportunity. Plus, I thought potato chips would be a good sales pitch for my ever-complaining LittleGrouch. That didn't work, though MissChubbyCheeks and I enjoyed our meal. Instead of using chicken, I substituted Dijon Mustard marinated turkey breast (store bought from ALDI). The turkey already had a lot of flavor from the marinade, so I only added some oregano and pepper to the chips for coating. (Refer to the original recipe for a more sophisticated flavor mix.) Also, as the turkey is covered in marinade, it wasn't necessary to dip the meat in egg to make the chips stick.

Ingredients:
350-400 g Dijon Mustard Marinated Turkey Breast (store-bought)
1 1/2 - 2 cups crushed lightly salted potato chips
1 tsp dried crushed oregano
pepper

Preheat oven to 375F. Mix together chips, oregano, and pepper. Cut the turkey breast into portions and pound lightly to even thickness. Roll the turkey pieces in the chips mixture and press to make them stick. Place coated turkey on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. (I served these with mashed potatoes and vegetables.)

6 comments:

  1. Glad that you liked the Potato Chip Chicken idea. I have never tried it with turkey, so will have to give that one some thought. Thanks for visiting my blog. We love eating at a German restaurant when we go to Portland. I will be checking out your German recipes. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ages since I've had potato chip chicken, but it's so good. I might need to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet my kids would love this - potato chips as part of dinner? Score! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just pinned your awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell I'm going to love your blog. Great to find you through SRC. I'm loving the idea of this potato chip crust. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely recipe, you seem to be enjoying the Club!

    ReplyDelete