Monday, August 13, 2012

SRC Duo: Zucchini Pancakes & Cucumber Queso Fresco Salad


It's SRC (Secret Recipe Club) Reveal Day again. Time to find out what we prepared from each others' blogs this month.  For August, I was assigned the blog This Mama Cooks! On A Diet written by Anne-Marie. Usually, when browsing through my assigned blog, I look for breakfast recipes, snacks, and bread. But as I had an over-production of zucchini and cucumber in my vegetable garden, I went straight to searching for recipes that featured those green goodies. And sure enough, I found a recipe for delicious Zucchini Pancakes and a refreshing and simple Cucumber, Feta, and Red Onion Salad.

I love any kind of potato and/or vegetable pancakes and I greatly enjoyed these. It was even one of the rare occasions when LittleGrouch did not complain about dinner. He ate two pancakes with some dip and declared zucchini to be his favorite food. (That sounds great but doesn't really mean anything. He ones claimed broccoli was his favorite although he has always been wildly opposed to even trying it shortly before that.) I added a little ham to the recipe, just for the fun of it.

The cucumber salad was a side dish with a taco dinner. I substituted Queso Fresco for the feta, to give it a Mexican note. (The Queso Fresco that I bought tasted like very mild feta.) The mild cooling salad went great with the intense flavor of the tacos.

Zucchini Pancakes
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
175 g brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
salt & pepper
1 tsp dried sage
1 tbsp Herbes de Provence

450 g zucchini, grated
450 g yellow squash, grated
1 small onion, minced

100 g smoked ham, chopped (optional)
oil

dip
250 g plain low-fat yogurt
50-60 g light cream cheese
2 small garlic cloves, smashed
salt & pepper

Whisk together eggs, egg whites, rice flour, baking, powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, sage, and herbs. Stir in zucchini, squash, onion, and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For the dip, whisk together yogurt, cream cheese, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spray a large skillet with a little oil and heat over medium heat. Add about 2-3 tbsp zucchini mix to the pan and flatten into a pancake. Continute with remaining mix, frying 3-4 pancakes in each batch, until the zucchini mix is finished. Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes, until top is almost dry and the underside is golden brown. Then turn over and cook for another minute until the second side is browned. Serve right away with the dip or keep warm in the oven.


Cucumber & Queso Fresco Salad

Ingredients:
500 g cucumber, peeled if desired, and diced
80-90 g Queso Fresco, finely diced or crumbled
1/2 medium red onion, minced
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper

Combine cucumber, cheese, and onion. Add vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Gently mix together and serve.

9 comments:

  1. This looks like a great pancake and we would just love the Salad, it looks delicious. A great choice for the SRC, hope you are having a great day.
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  2. really an interesting combo. Great SCR choice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good one for SRC, My Name is Jayasri, I had your blog for this month's SRC, and baked you Canadian Oatmeal Rolls, enjoyed baking them and was so delicious.., Thanks for the lovely recipe. Enjoyed going through your blog, amazed with all the different cuisines and the A to Z from nook and corner from the world. your are an amazing blogger. Do visit me when you have time..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog. I am following you now. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. Last week it was Berries and Currants. This week it is pork. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good on ya for making two recipes! TWO! :)

    also, anything with zucchini in it is a good idea in my books.

    happy src reveal from a group D member!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good picks. Zucchini cakes sound like exactly the way to use up the plethora in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing TWO recipes from my blog! Ironically, I made homemade queso fresco for this month's SRC post - great substitution choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! these sound so good. I love making cucumber salad

    ReplyDelete