Monday, July 16, 2012

Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing

It's SRC (Secret Recipe Club) time again. This month, I was assigned the blog Fallon's Cucina, written by (can you guess?) Fallon. I had a hard time choosing a recipe from among all the delicious salads on her blog. I finally settled on Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing, a recipe that Fallon had adapted from another blog. I went back to look at the original posting before settling on how to prepare the salad. I don't want to cause confusion by mention the changes that either one of us made to the original recipe. Let me just point out the two major changes I made. 1) The recipe called for mushrooms and as neither me nor HubbyGrouch are crazy about them, I used zucchini instead. 2) I didn't have enough shrimps, so I used some salmon as well. We enjoyed this salad on a hot day. The combination of salmon and bacon was very tasty!


Ingredients (serves 2-4):
4 strips bacon
1/2 onion, sliced
2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
salt
pepper
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
125-150 g baby spinach
2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
100-125 g salad shrimp
200-250 g salmon fillet, cubed

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels, let cool, crumble. Pour off all but 1-2 tsp bacon fat. Add onion and zucchini to the pan and cook until the onions begin to brown, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes. After 2 minutes, add shrimp to the skillet. In the meantime, divide the spinach among plates. Stir mustard and vinegar into the zucchini mix, season with salt & pepper, and divide among the plates. If necessary, add a little oil to the skillet. Season the salmon with salt & pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Divide salmon and egg slices among the plates. Top with crumbled bacon and serve with crunchy bread.

9 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with such a tasty classic - IO love that you changed it up with the addition of salmon - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love warm bacon dressing. It is heaven on a plate!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another perfect summer dish for this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that 4 strips of bacon more than unravels the health benefits of eating a salad, but I don't care. The combination of flavours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the dressing for this awesome Salad, I can't wait to try it. Great selection for SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wholesome meal in itself. I love the flavors you've used here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. salads are my fav, so fun cooking with you in SRC

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful looking salad and your substitutions sound wonderful.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great choice! Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm glad you found something you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete