Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Australia: Rum Fudge Balls (or "Aussie-German Rumkugeln")

I have always loved Rumkugeln (rum truffles or rum fudge balls) that you can find in most bakeries in Northern Germany. (They are also popular in Denmark, as I discovered during a trip to Copenhagen several years ago.) Over time, I have tried several different recipes for versions of rum fudge balls but never quite got them the way I wanted. I hadn't expected to find a recipe in an Australian cookbook but I was more than ready to give it a try. They turned out great! Another successful enterprise to "recreate" some German food that I crave and can't find around here. I did make one big change to the original recipe: I omitted the coconut. Coconut was supposed to into the fudge mix and also used to cover the balls on the outside. But as I am not too crazy about coconut, I simply left it out. Also, the ratio of condensed milk to cookies seemed to be way of in the original recipe; I about doubled the amount of cookies and halved the amount of condensed milk. The mix should not be too soft or it won't hold it's shape.

   

Ingredients (makes about 15 balls):
200 g plain tea biscuits, crushed
3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla
2-4 tbsp rum (or rum flavor)
about 5-7 oz condensed milk
chocolate sprinkles

Mix together biscuits, cocoa powder, vanilla, and rum. Add condensed milk until you obtain the desired  consistency. Take about 1 1/2 tbsp of the mix and roll into a ball. Continue with remaining cookie mix. Roll balls in chocolate sprinkles. Refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving. (You can make the balls smaller or larger, just as you like.)

(recipe adapted from: "Good Food from Australia" by Graeme and Betsy Newman)

No comments:

Post a Comment