Sunday, July 15, 2012

Herbed Zucchini-Feta Pancakes

I have a lot of zucchini in my garden this year and I had some leftover feat cheese in the fridge. So this recipe seemed a perfect way of taking care of both. In the original recipe, these were not pancakes but fritters - little deep-fried balls. I opted to turn that zucchini mix into pancakes. I basically stuck to the recipe, except that I used about 50% more feta cheese. I liked this recipe and the dip with the exception of one thing: too much salt. The original recipe calls for 1 tablespoon salt to be mixed with the zucchini. It did sound a lot to me but as you are supposed to squeeze the zucchini dry after that, I assumed that most of the salt would be squeezed out with the water. However, that was  not the case! Maybe I just didn't squeeze them dry enough but for sure, next time, I will use only 1 teaspoon of salt and go from there.

To prepare the pancakes, mix the batter as per instructions. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with a little oil. For each pancake, add about 1-2 tbsp batter to the skillet and flatten. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until gold brown. Serve with the dip.


(recipe adapted from: "Food & Wine Magazine")


No comments:

Post a Comment