Saturday, June 9, 2012

Double Cheeseburger with Not-Quite-Caramelized Onions




I found this recipe in the current issue of Food & Wine magazine. Despite its obviously being impossible to be eaten as it is (unless your mouth is as big as that of former CA governor A.S.), it sounded absolutely delicious and I just had to try it. The original recipe used caramelize onion but I - as you can guess from the title of this post - did not. I know that caramelize onions are quite the thing in all kinds of recipes, cooking shows, forums etc.. However, as I mentioned several times before, I don't like anything sweet in savory meals. So I fried the onions in a little olive oil over medium heat until they were soft and lightly golden brown (stirring often). Then I seasoned them with salt and pepper. I also used Asiago instead of Gruyère cheese (because I already had it in the fridge). The best part of this burger was actually the seasoned mayonnaise. Overall, the burger was really good but not as good as the Bacon Cheeseburgers with Tarragon Russian Dressing. This was mainly due to the patties being rather heavy - I prepared them as per instructions and did not "lighten them up" by adding egg, bread crumbs, onion et al. as I usually do.
I served these burgers with Slovenian Tomato Salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment