Monday, June 11, 2012

Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches with a Latino Twist

This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog Crumbs and Chaos. As if it isn't difficult enough to choose a recipe from a blog that's written by one person, this blog has four - in words FOUR )(!) - contributors. So it was more like choosing  a single recipe from four blogs instead of one. I saw a lot of kid-friendly, quick & easy recipes. But when I saw the recipe for this Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich, I knew I found the winner. I decided to put a little Latino twist on this recipe. Instead of using cooked chicken, as in the original recipe, I decided to season the chicken with my homemade (or store-bought) Aliño Criollo seasoning and then pan-fry it. Well, let me tell you: these sandwiches were simply awesome! They will end up on my meal plan again, that's for sure.



Ingredients (for 1 Sandwich):
1 chicken tender
about 1/2 tsp (or to taste) Aliño Criollo seasoning
1 1/2 slices bacon
1 slice sandwich bread (halved) or 2 slices bread or 1 roll (split) (I used multigrain sandwich bread from Stop&Shop)
1 slice Gouda cheese (or cheese of your choice)
red onion rings
fresh (baby) spinach leaves
Ranch dressing

Place chicken between two layers of plastic wrap and, using a mallet, pound to a thickness of 2-3 mm. Rub both sides of chicken with Aliño Criollo seasoning. Cover or wrap chicken and chill for 1-2 hours. Place bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove to paper towels and let drain. Pour off all except a few drops of bacon fat. Heat the bacon fat over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and let cool slightly. Preheat a sandwich grill (or use your broiler). To assemble the sandwich spread Ranch dressing on 1 piece of bread. Top with spinach, then bacon, chicken, onion rings, cheese, and second piece of bread. Place  in the sandwich grill until nicely browned and crisp, and cheese is melted. I served the sandwiches with Patacones/Tostones (Fried Green Plantain) - a second Latino twist  :-)


10 comments:

  1. yum! love the addition of Gouda to the spicy flavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one delicious looking sandwich and I'll have to check out the seasoning, it's a new one for me.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of our favorite combos - the chicken, bacon, ranch is killer already and I bet the latin seasoning takes it up another notch! So glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! this looks yummy! :) great sammy! loving your SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed getting to know you and your recipes for this month's SRC. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely sandwich, its got some great ingredients in there

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on a total sandwich kick lately. (It's hot out!) Thanks for the great idea

    Be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month to link up your pineapple or strawberry recipes http://bit.ly/KeYUr2 Or surf the collection to find some recipe inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm regretting my crappy lunch today and wishing I ate this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete