Monday, May 14, 2012

Sunflower Seed (or Flax Seed) Whole Wheat Bread

This month for the Secret Recipe Club (SRC), I was assigned the blog Adventures in All Things Food, written by Andrea. This gives me the opportunity to thank her again for stepping up last month and spontaneously deciding to make a recipe from my blog for the SRC, as my blog was "orphaned" last month. Thank you, Andrea! 
When looking for a recipe for this month's SRC, I went straight to the bread section of my assigned blog. I love homemade bread and I am always on the lookout for new recipes. When I saw the Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread, I knew that would be my pick. I decided to use the the oven instead of my bread machine because the bread gets a nicer and thicker crust (I'm a sucker for bread crust!). I was out of flax seeds and decided to use sunflower  seeds instead, but you can use any seeds you like: pumpkin, sesame, etc. Also, I only used 1 tsp honey as I prefer my bread rustic instead of sweet.


Ingredients:
360 ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
6 tbsp nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/4 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 tsp salt

315 g bread flour
225 g whole wheat flour

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp sunflower seeds

oven proof dish with 1 cup boiling (or very hot) water, for baking

Place all ingredients in the bread machine and select the kneading cycle. (Or use an electric mixer with dough hook). You should obtain a smooth dough. Line a strainer (about 2-3 times the volume of the dough) with cheese cloth. Sprinkle with flower. Form the dough into a ball, place in strainer, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest and rise for 3-4 hours (until the volume is at least doubled). Preheat oven to 450F. (Place a pizza stone in the oven if you have one.) Uncover the strainer. Place a large enough piece of parchment paper and then a baking sheet over the dough. Quickly turn the dough onto the baking sheet. Slash the dough ball 2-3 times with a serrated bread knife. Place bread in the oven. Place boiling water in the oven. Bake bread for 35-40 minutes, until nicely browned and sounding hollow when tapping the bottom.

13 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I love bread so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful loaf of bread. Nice twist on the seeds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... turned out beautifully! Love the twist on my recipe. Hope you enjoyed it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! It's going on my "to make" list!

    Heather @ Join us, Pull up a chair

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow lovely bread, a healthy one too..., it has turned out very well, I love baking breads...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yumyum! always love a great bread recipe!
    Visiting you from SRC! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful bread! Must be so delicious. I love this recipe, what a great pick for SRC!

    I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched only this Monday. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author's site.

    It's called RecipeNewZ (with Z) - http://recipenewz.com

    I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread looks beautiful! I'm definitely going to try this

    be sure to check out seasonalpotluck.com May is avocado and asparagus month! http://bit.ly/JZGxpz We'd love if you'd link up any recipes you may have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful bread!
    Cooking with you in the SRC-B
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great looking bread. I'd love to make small loaves, hollow them out and serve stew in them (of course, that's more of a winter thing...).

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds wonderful, i love seeds in bread

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post! I'm so glad to get to visit this site. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative post. I'll be looking forward for your other posts as well. Keep it up! Flaxseed is low in carbs, making it a good choice to have in bread when you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So the next time you want bread for a sandwich or toast, try our healthy Flaxseed Bread.
    flaxseed bread

    ReplyDelete