Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tomato Garlic Parmesan Couscous

It's time for the Secret Recipe Club (SRC) again. This month, I was assigned the blog Living Lou written by the very talented Louisa. She has great recipes and wonderful photos on her blog. There are usually three categories of recipe I look for first when I get my blog assignment: snacks, breakfast, and sides. I found this wonderful recipe for a flavored couscous which sounded perfect to go with the ratatouille I had planned to prepare. We enjoyed dinner that day very much. The couscous was indeed a perfect match! The major change I made was that I added all ingredients to the water instead of preparing a separate condiment in a pan. This step simplified an already simple side even more :-)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup water
1 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/8 - 1/4 tsp each dried thyme, parsley, and basil
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp parmesan, grated
salt
1 cup couscous

Bring water with oil, garlic, herbs, tomato paste, parmesan, and salt to taste to a boil. Add stir in couscous, remove from heat, cover, and let rest 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and serve (e.g. with Ratatouille).


11 comments:

  1. That's an interesting combination for cous cous. Makes sense since it's basically a pasta. I'll need to try that.

    When I was a child, I always ate it with sugar, cinnamon and chick peas (fed to me by my Moroccan grandmother).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very simple but I'll bet the flavors are awesome! It looks good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simplicity of couscous is great! I've never added anything to it, so thanks for waking me up and sharing such a great, simple little dish. Love the touch of cheese and herbs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinned this to my must try list! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cous cous and the flavors in your recipe sound wonderful.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couscous is so versatile. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I usually look for soup, salad, appetizer when choosing for SRC! I hope you'll swing by Seasonalpotluck.com March is artichoke month! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo I'd love if you'd link up your artichoke recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the simplicity of couscous, yet it has so much flavor. I made a similar dish for my SRC last month. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you chose this recipe! I love couscous and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Very smart to add it all in while it cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I'm always looking for new ways to flavour couscous as well as quinoa (i tend to eat more of that due to protein content)... love it!

    happy src reveal from a group D member!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always making couscous and I've tried this combination before it is really delicious

    ReplyDelete