Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zimbabwe: Sadza (Corn Meal Dumpling)

This side dish has many different names in various African countries. I am not a great fan of corn, corn meal, polenta, and the likes but given this dish's popularity in the region chosen for this month's Cook Around the Globe, I just had to try it. The original recipe called for much longer cooking times but the the corn meal I used was thickening incredibly quick. The most likely explanation I can think of is that (although the recipe didn't specify it) I used yellow corn meal and not the white variety. If I try this again, I will definitely go try to find white corn meal (for the yellow one, I would use a bit more water next time). Anyway, neither HubbyGrouch nor me liked this dish very much. It is okay with a nice sauce but surely not my favorite source of starch.

Six months ago:  French Onion Soup

   
Ingredients:
150 g finely ground yellow corn meal
375 ml water
1 tsp butter
salt

Mix together about 1/2 the corn meal and 125 ml water into a paste. Bring remaining water with butter and a pinch of salt to a boil over medium heat. Add the paste to the boiling water and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 30-60 seconds. Add remaining corn meal, stirring constantly until well incorporated. Keep stirring until the mass detaches itself from the pan. Move the pot in a circular motion to form a dumplings. Let rest 2-3 minutes, then serve.

(Adapted from: "A Taste of Africa" by Tebereh Inquai)

1 comment: