Monday, March 5, 2012

Malawi: Fish with Plantain

This is the first dish I prepared for this month's Cook Around the Globe project. HubbyGrouch loves plantain is always happy to see it on the meal plan. I, on the other hand, don't really like it but prepare it on occasion to please the hubbs. I have mentioned already that I am not keen on sweet main dishes. The ripe plantains in this one were definitely too sweet for me. I would try with another variety or less ripe ones next time. Also, as it is winter here and full-flavor tomatoes are hard to come by (unless you are willing to spend a fortune), I added some tomato paste to the sauce, which wasn't in the original recipe.

                            Mango Chocolate Cake
One year ago:      Lentils with Guiso and Egg
                            Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

   
Ingredients:
2 ripe plantains, peeled, washed with warm water, and sliced
250-300 g fish fillet (I used Tilapia), cut into chunks
2 medium plum tomatoes, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1 tsp curry powder
salt
250 ml water
2-3 tbsp tomato paste

Layer half the plantain slices, the fish, tomatoes, onion, remaining plantain in an adequately sized pot (about 8" in diameter worked fine for me). Lightly season each layer. Whisk together water, tomato paste, curry powder, and salt to taste. Pour over dish. Cover pot, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Slightly open lid for the last 5-10 minutes. (I served the dish with rice but bread or more traditional sides are other options.)

(adapted from: "A Taste of Africa" by Tebereh Inquai)

2 comments:

  1. I'm dipping my toes into the idea of incorporating plantain into my meals, so thanks for the nudge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious--and quick enough for a weeknight dinner. What great flavor it must have!

    ReplyDelete