Friday, February 3, 2012

Finland: Tilliherneet (Dilled Green Peas)

I have found a lot of great side dishes among my Scandinavian recipes. I usually just prepare a salad or cook some veggies in lightly salted water. This months, though that is going to change and you'll be finding a variety of still simply but "dressed up" veggie sides. All of them will of course be linked to my Cook Around the Globe project. The first side I chose are these delicious peas. The original recipe called for pimiento but I used red bell pepper instead (which I fried together with the onions). You are supposed to use Jarlsberg cheese to sprinkle over the peas. I had bought some but didn't have the time to grate it, so I used some already grated Asiago cheese instead. We liked this dish and I'm sure it will show up again on my meal plan.


   
Ingredients:
450 g frozen green peas
1/2 tbsp butter
4-6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
30-40 g chopped red bell pepper
4 tbsp grated Asiago cheese

Cook peas as package directs. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add scallion and bell pepper and cook until softened, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Stir into cooked peas and add dill. Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

(adapted from "Scandinavian Cooking" by Beatrice Ojakangas)

No comments:

Post a Comment