Monday, February 6, 2012

Denmark: Stuvet spinat (Creamed Spinach)

Here is a nice side dish from Denmark for this month's Cook Around the Globe project. I know that you can buy creamed spinach pre-made (either frozen or canned) but I think that homemade is usually better. I already mentioned that I will be trying out lots of new side dishes this months to have some variety. HubbyGrouch love spinach - about the only leafy veggie that he likes - and he really liked this version. So this is definitely a keeper. I liked it too - with my temporarily impaired sense of taste due to a cold.

   
Ingredients:
2  10-oz packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
125 ml (light) cream
75 ml (1%) milk
salt
pepper

Melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stirring constantly, add flour to the butter and keep stirring for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add milk and cream, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Add spinach, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3-5 minutes until the spinach is soft.

(adapted from "Dänisch kochen - Gerichte und ihre Geschichte" by Charlotte Noer)

1 comment: