Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Norway: Røkelaksterte (Smoked Salmon Quiche)

When I started looking through Scandinavian recipes for this month's Cook Around the Globe, I didn't expect to find a quiche. But there it was - and with smoked salmon, too! Naturally, I couldn't resist a treat like that. We greatly enjoyed this quiche and are looking forward to eating the leftovers.


   
Ingredients:
200 g all-purpose flour
100 g unsalted butter
200 g smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
1 onion, minced
1/2 bunch chives, snipped
1 tsp dried basil
1 garlic clove, smashed
50 ml light cream
200 ml (1%) milk
2 large eggs

Combine flour, butter, and 50 ml cold water to obtain a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 10" (26 cm) quiche form. Roll out dough and place into quiche form, covering bottom and sides. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven. Decrease temperature to 375F. In the meantime, fry onion in a little oil or butter until translucent. Mix together onion, salmon, chives, basil, cream, milk, and eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into quiche shell. Bake for about 30 minutes until egg is set. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.

(adapted from: "Norwegisch kochen" by Alexander Pöche and Susanne Schöer)



7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and so flavorful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche and this looks so good with smoked salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great-looking quiche! And smoked salmon is such a huge flavor boost in any dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I said I was going to make one of your recipes and I didn't waste any time! Made it exactly as written above and it turned out perfectly! I did add half a tsp of cracked black pepper to it for a kick. I made it this morning as I had a relatively free morning for a change and had a couple of friends round for lunch. They both loved it too! I'm glad I made it, thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks and sounds really yummy. Wouldn't mind having it for breakfast tomorrow :) Thanks for participating in the YBR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm I love smoked salmon, I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making this right now! it's in the oven. Perfect for an easter friday. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete