Monday, January 23, 2012

A Plethora of Sweet & Savory Wheat Thins

After a one month break, the SRC (Secret Recipe Club) is finally back with lots of delicious recipes to check out. This month, I was assigned Jennifer's blog, For Such a Time as This. I immediately went to check out the "Snack" and "Breakfast" sections of her recipe index. I am always on the lookout those kind of recipes. When I saw the recipe for the Homemade Wheat Thins, I knew what I was going to make. The original recipe has discernable amounts of salt and sugar in it. As I do not particularly like to taste both in one bite, I decided to make two recipes out of one: sweet wheat thins and salty wheat thins. Also, instead of cold butter, I used softened one because it's easier to work with, and then chilled to dough before rolling it out. This is such a flexible recipe. You can season & sprinkle the dough with anything you fancy: chocolate sprinkles, chopped dried fruits (e.g. raisins, cranberries, apricots, ...), marmelade glaze, chopped nuts, grains, seeds, herbs (e.g. Italian, French, ...), spices, spice mixes, cheese (e.g. parmesan, feta, gruyere, ...), chopped olives ....... endless possibilities. I made three times the amount of the original recipe to make a dent in the amount of ideas I had for these little bites. This time, I rolled out the dough with a rolling pin but I think next time I will try to use my pasta machine. It should work just fine with plastic wrap to prevent the dough from sticking to the drums, and the dough will be evenly thin. LittleGrouch and MissChubbyCheeks loved all the sweet varieties of this snack, especially the chocolate ones. I like the savory ones with a simple dip of light sour cream, mashed garlic, and salt. Thank you for this recipe, Jennifer!


Ingredients:
sweet wheat thins
175 g (white) whole wheat flour
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
4-8 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
toppings: chocolate sprinkles, poppy seeds, chopped nuts, cinnamon (or others)

savory wheat thins
175 g whole wheat flour
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
4-8 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
toppings: sesame, poppy seeds, chopped walnuts, gyro seasoning, pumpkin seeds, parmesan, cumin, garam masala (or others)

Mix together all ingredients except toppings to obtain a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 400F. Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll out dough between two layers of plastic wrap to a thickness or 1-2 mm. (Or use a pasta machine to do the job.) 



Lift one layer of wrap, sprinkle topping on dough, and replace wrap. Roll dough again to press the topping lightly into dough.



Turn dough topping side down onto work surface and replace plastic wrap by a sheet of  parchment paper.


Place the dough parchment side down onto a baking sheet and remove the plastic wrap. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. The dough doesn't expand in the oven, so you can easily separate the wheat thins afterwards. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crisp and browned. Be sure to check after 5 minutes so they won't burn. Remove tray from oven, let crackers cool slightly, then transfer to a cooling rack.

That was exhausting!






10 comments:

  1. Wow. Your post has really inspired me to try making homemade crackers, something I have never tried. Love you picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try making my own homemade crackers and this definitely gave me hope that it really can be done! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These don't even look too hard, and if they could put my child to sleep, that's be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crackers look excellent - perfect for a summer dip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound great! I'm with you, I think the savory ones sound the best while the kids would gobble up the sweet ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the different varieties you made and your little chubby cheeks sleeping is adorable.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of being able to make your own "custom" crackers. I’m stopping by from SRC but I’d love if you check our my new site seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month so if you have any orange recipes, we’d love if you’d link up! http://bit.ly/zDoNfx ps. your daughter is so cute! Love the boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade crackers is such a good idea...never even thought about it, thanks for sharing the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love homemade cracker. I especially love the rustic look of these crackers. I really need to try them. Your daughter is so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your site when I linked up to Menu Planning Monday on Organizing Junkies Blogg- I love your roll out tip that would have been very helpful when I was making crackers a mont ago....anyways, I have made the savory Wheat thins Cracker, I got my recipe from Rodale site, I used 1C flour but replaced 1/2 C with ground flax seed meal and used their tip for using honey dissolved into hot water for a little sweetness...Man that recipe tasted just like Wheat Thins savory with just a hint of sweet : www.rodale.com/cracker-recipes?page=0,1

    Then I found this recipe on a blog that tastes just like Cheese Nips, or Gold Fish Crackers, very tasty!!: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/high-five-recipes-crispy-cheese-crackers/comment-page-2#comment-153257

    ReplyDelete