Friday, February 3, 2012

Sweden: Köttbullar (Meatballs)

I think the only times I have actually eaten Swedish meatballs, was during various trips to IKEA. I love the concept of tiny meatballs with sauce, so I knew that I would prepare these for my Cook Around the Globe project. There is a vast number of slightly different recipes for this dish, so the main challenge in preparing these - apart from trying to keep their round shape while frying - was to decide on the recipe. HubbyGrouch and I really liked those and are looking forward to eating the leftovers.


   
Ingredients:
125 g breadcrumbs
125 ml light cream
125 ml 1% milk
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
500 g lean ground beef
250 g lean ground pork
1 large egg
4 tbsp fresh minced parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1-2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
500 ml beef broth

Soak breadcrumbs in cream and milk for 10 minutes. Melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Stir into breadcrumbs. Add beef, pork, egg. parsley, salt, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Mix well (you can use an electric mixer). With moist hands, form 45-50 meatballs. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet. Brown meatballs (in batches) in the butter on all sides. Let drain on paper towels. Stir flour into drippings in skillet. Gradually whisk in broth. Continue stirring until mixture thickens. Return meatballs to sauce in skillet. Simmer 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. I served the meatballs with Tilliherneet (Dilled Green Peas from Finland) and potatoes.

(adapted from "Scandinavian Cooking" by Beatrice Ojakangas)

1 comment:

  1. You read my mind! I've been wanting to make Swedish meatballs lately! Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete