Saturday, February 4, 2012

Iceland: Kartöflu-grænkálssúpa (Potato and Kale Soup)

During childhood, kale was one of my absolute favorites. Unfortunately, HubbyGrouch is not a big fan of any kind of cabbage, and so I haven't had kale in a really, really long time. That's why I was very happy when I found this recipe in the below mentioned cookbook. The recipe will be linked up to my Cook Around the Globe project. I loved this soup, and so did MissChubbyCheeks. The recipe is very simple but I love the flavor of the kale and don't really need anything else. The taste reminded me a lot of my childhood dish. HubbyGrouch didn't have to eat the soup - I made him chicken quesadillas for dinner. 

Chicken quesadillas (This time I used corn tortillas and
 I had cooked two additional boneless chicken
 thighs when I made the chickpea stew.)



Kale Potato Soup
   
Ingredients:
1 1/2 liter beef (or lamb) stock
450 g potatoes, peeled and grated
50 g onion, grated
450 g kale, chopped
black pepper
salt
1-2 tbsp butter

Bring the stock to a boil. Add potatoes, onion, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add kale and simmer 5 minutes more. (The kale will be softened but still have "bite". If you prefer the kale softer, add it to the stock together with the potatoes.) Add butter and let melt. Adjust seasoning. Serve as is or with lots of freshly baked bread.

(adapted from "Icelandic Food & Cookery" by Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir)

Yum! This soup is great!
Too much soup - I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment