Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sweden: Hasselbackpotatis (Baked Potatoes)

This is a classic Swedish dish that can be found in almost every Swedish and Scandinavian cookbook. In my cookbook collection alone, I found 8 recipes. The main variations are the baking temperature (ranging from about 400F to 460F) and wether or not to use cheese. I think as a main dish, like we had, the cheese is good to have for some additional taste. If use serve the potatoes as a side, the cheese is not necessary. Some recipes recommend to half the potatoes horizontally before slicing them. Which is a good idea, unless you use really small potatoes. Our were kind of mid-sized and still a bit too raw in the middle, although nicely browned on the top.
(This dish will, of course, be linked to my Cook Around the Globe project.)

   
Ingredients:
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
vegetable oil or butter
2-3 tbsp melted butter
salt
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2-3 tbsp parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425F. Peel the potatoes and place in cold water. Place one potato on a large spoon and, beginning about 1/2" from the end, slice in 1/8" intervals. Place potato back in the water. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Butter a baking dish or spray with vegetable oil. Drain potatoes and pat dry. Brush the potatoes with half the melted butter and sprinkle liberally with salt. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle potatoes with breadcrumbs, baste with remaining butter, and top with cheese. Bake for another 20 minutes until soft and lightly brown. Serve as a vegetarian main dish along with a salad, or as a side dish.

(adapted from: "Recipes: The Cooking of Scandinavia" from "Time Life's Foods of the World" series)

7 comments:

  1. I first saw this in Donna Hay magazine and have been making it often ever since. The texture is so fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hasselback potatoes--have never made them with the bread crumbs, though--what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen potatoes prepared like this before, but haven't tried it yet.... I like your version, I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just tried to make these for the first time and I wasn't very successful. I used russet potatoes, which I think are too starchy for this. I'll try again using Yukon golds--do you ever put garlic slices between the slices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time, too. Starch might be a problem, even the Yukon golds didn't open up that easily. I haven't tried the garlic, but just found this post: http://theculinarychronicles.com/2011/06/17/rosemary-garlic-hasselback-potatoes/

      Delete
    2. I just remembered reading in one of my recipes, that you peel the potatoes and then place them in a bowl of cold water. Then, one by one, take them out, pat them dry, slice them and put them back in the water. When all potatoes are sliced you pat them dry and proceed as described with the butter. Maybe this water treatment helps opening the (starchy) potatoes.

      Delete