Monday, February 6, 2012

Iceland: Fiskbollur (Fish Patties)

Today, as part of my Cook Around the Globe project, I prepared fish patties. I had never made any, so it was definitely time to try. I had two recipes that were somewhat different, and as I liked some feature of each, I decided to come up with a combined version. I used Haddock because I had some in my freezer, but Cod or Saithe are just as well. Thepatties came out very nice. HubbyGrouch liked them, LittleGrouch ate them after A LOT of persuading (and actually asked for a second patty to finish his spinach). The taste (at least what I could taste as I am having a cold) reminded me a lot of the fish patties that they put in sandwiches "back home" (Northern Germany, that is). And that is exactly what I am going to do with the few leftover patties. Just some nice bread, remoulade sauce, fish patties, some lettuce - yum! Looking forward to tomorrow's lunch.


   
Ingredients:
350 g Haddock fillet, cut into chunks
1 small onion, cut into chunks
1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp light cream
1 tbsp fresh snipped chives
1/2 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp potato starch (or cornstarch)
2 tbsp white flour
1-2 tsp vegetable oil

Finely mince fish and onion in a food processor or mincer. Add egg, salt, cream, chives, parsley, and pepper, and mix well. Stir in flour and starch. The mixture should be thick and hold its shape well. Add more flour or starch as needed. Working in batches, heat a little oil in a skillet over medium heat. Form fish mixture into oblong balls or patties and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. I served these with rice Creamed Spinach (from Denmark) and rice.

(adapted from Jo's Icelandic Recipes  and  "Icelandic Food & Cookery" by Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir)

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic! I think your around the Globe project is marvellous! I have a monthly theme on my site and we explore different cuisines too although this month, for obvious resins, we're doing chocolate! I'm your latest follower on Google! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete