Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tibet: Cheese Soup (Churu)

During the cold season, I am always on the lookout for good soups. When I was looking into recipes for this month's Cook Around the Globe, I came across this interesting combination of ingredients. Unfortunately, something seemed to be really off with the recipe. I had to double the cheese and add quite a bit of salt to get some flavor into the soup. I guess you can use broth instead of water, which would partly take care of this problem. Luckily, I did manage to make this soup tasty. (Unless the lack of taste is authentic - which I really have no idea about.)


   

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 green chili, minced
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup cornstarch
salt
100 g ham, chopped (or 125 g ground beef), optional

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until brown. Stir in paprika, pepper, garlic, and ginger. (If using, add beef at this point and cook until almost cooked through.) Add chili. Reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted. Add tomato and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Dissolve starch in 1/4 cup water. When soup is boiling, pour in starch mixture. Cook until thickened slightly. (Add ham if using.) Season with salt and serve.

(adapted from http://asiarecipe.com/tibveg.html)

1 comment:

  1. Cheese.... soup...

    I.have.to.make.it.

    Great post! Hope you have a nice nice Tuesday ;)

    ReplyDelete