Sunday, January 22, 2012

Germany: Hausmacher Leberwurst (Homemade Liverwurst Spread)

I finally did it! And I must say that I am really proud of myself. What am I talking about? Well, ever since I came to the US, I was on the lookout for good liverwurst. But I couldn't find what I was looking for. About half a year ago, I had finally given up hope and decided that if I wanted some liverwurst, I would have to make it myself. So I got a meat grinder which, until today, had been sitting in the closet waiting to called into action. This weekend, to my great surprise, I found pork liver in the supermarket. I had never seen any before and accepted the fact that I would have to use chicken or beef liver. So now, with all the ingredients at hand, there were no more excuses. You are wondering why I am so crazy about liverwurst, anyway? (I am fully aware that lots of people find the idea of liverwurst repulsive.) I don't know... I just always loved it. I have even succeeded in Germanizing HubbyGrouch enough to like liverwurst. He even helped me prepare it (!) by operating the handle on the meat grinder. I did make one mistake though: I filled the jars too much. They should really only be filled 2/3, otherwise the grease seeps out into the water and the jars are all greasy when you take them out of the pot. Live and learn. Next time, I know what to do. However, the taste of this liverwurst is just what I wanted - and I have six jars full of this yummy treat!

Ingredients:
1350 g meaty pork belly with rind, cut into 2 cm thick slices
450 g pork liver
125 g pork chop
300 g onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
35 g salt
1 1/4 tsp pepper
a heaped 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
a heaped 1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg
1 1/4 tbsp dried marjoram
125 ml cooking liquid (or to taste)

twist off jars (preferably of the same height), cleaned well and sterilized (in hot water or dishwasher)

Place the pork belly and pork chop in a large enough pot. Add enough water to just cover the meat, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour. Remove meat from liquid and let cool enough to handle. Reserve liquid. In the meantime, heat oil over medium heat, add onions and cook until translucent. Bring the cooking liquid to a boil again, add liver and boil for 15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving the liquid. Cut meat and liver into chunks and put together with the onion through the 5 mm disc (or finer if you prefer) of your meat grinder. Mix well with the remaining ingredients. Fill the prepared jars 2/3 high with the meat mix and close. Place jars in a large enough pot (on an inserted rack), fill with water until about 2 cm below the lids. Bring water to a boil and simmer for 90 minutes up to 2 hours (for 400g jars). Remove jars from pot and let cool. Store in a cold, dry place.

(adapted from Onkel Heinz Back- und Hobbyseiten)

Enjoy the liverwurst with mustard on homemade bread.
Like mother, like daughter!

4 comments:

  1. You wouldn't necessarily know this from my blog, but my father's side of the family is VERY German and I grew up around liverwurst. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you made your own, very impressive! It must taste wonderful. I actually had leberwurst on toast today (with some mustard and a piece of lettuce on top is how I like it) and was in heaven. I think it is currently my favorite food. Though the ingredients can be a bit sketchy... so I am on the lookout for a good quality bio version here in Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone know how to make Braunsweiger (I think I've spelled this correctly)?

    ReplyDelete