Friday, January 6, 2012

Blue Cheese-Bacon Focaccia

As soon as I spotted this recipe in Bon Appetit, I knew it was going to show up on the meal plan sooner or later. I mean, bacon, blue cheese and rosemary on a thick and tasty focaccia - what more can one possibly want for dinner? Even LittleGrouch liked it - all I had to do was draw his attention to the bacon without mentioning the cheese. I froze the leftovers and I'm looking forward to eating them soon. The only thing I changed from the original recipe, was the amount of blue cheese used. 2 ounces seemed ways to little for a large focaccia. I used almost twice a much cheese. Maybe next time I'll use more bacon as well.


Ingredients:
360 ml lukewarm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp honey
250 g riced or mashed cooked russet potato
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 tbsp olive oil, divided
625 g all-purpose flour
150 g bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces
90-100 g blue cheese, crumbled
2-3 tsp dried crushed rosemary

Mix together water, yeast, honey, potato, salt, pepper, and 6 tbsp oil. Add flour, mix in and knead dough until smooth, adding more flour if needed (dough should be soft and elastic). Brush a large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, cover and place in a warm spot until volume has doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until light golden but not crisp. Drain on paper towels. Preheat oven to 425F. Brush a 12x16" baking sheet with oil. Press dough into pan. Press with fingertips all over, forming dimples. Drizzle remaining oil over. Bake for 12 minutes. Sprinkle cheese onto focaccia, then bacon and rosemary. Return to oven and bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes longer. Let cool for 10 minutes on the tray. Eat warm or slide bread onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve as a main course with a side salad or cut into 2"x1" pieces and serve as an appetizer.

(adapted from Bon Appetit)



2 comments:

  1. Oh man, would I dive right into this! I love blue cheese, it has such a great, sharp flavor. The bacon should cut it wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome combo of flavors! And I'm not surprised at the doubling of cheese - cheese makes everything better so the more the merrier :) My boyfriend would probably die to try this so I'll have to test it out. Looks fab and Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete