Friday, November 18, 2011

Whole Wheat Blueberry Tray-Baked (Breakfast) Cake

It's time again for the Secret Recipe Club - and this time no freak snow storm prevented me from participating. I was assigned Avanika's blog Yumsilicious Bakes. HubbyGrouch is not much of a cake eater, so I don't do a lot of baking. Except when some of my favorite fruits for cakes (sour cherries, prunes) are in season. Then I bake tray-baked cakes and freeze them to have a snack when I need something slightly sweet and fruity with a cup of hot cocoa in the winter. So at first I was a bit at a loss of what recipe to choose. There are many yummy recipes on Avanika's blog but with no bake sale coming up, I didn't want to prepare something that I would end up throwing out because there would be no one to eat it. I finally decided to prepare the Blueberry Breakfast Cake. The combination of whole wheat flour and yogurt sounded interesting and I thought this cake would be great for freezing. I know it's called "breakfast cake" but for me, cake is an afternoon snack - I prefer a savory breakfast. That's why I changed the title of the recipe for my post. Avanika had actually prepared this recipe for last month's SRC from the blog Every Little Thing, whose author in turn had adapted it from the blog Eat, Live, Run. I made a few changes to adapt the recipe to my personal preferences: I doubled the recipe and baked the cake on a tray. I used white whole wheat flour instead of whole grain pastry flour (because I couldn't find the latter. I am not sure it makes a big difference, though.). I left out the cinnamon (I really don't like cinnamon!) I contemplated replacing it with nutmeg or allspice but then decided to just leave it out completely. I only used 1 dash of salt instead of 1/2 tsp (in my opinion, there is no need to put that much salt in any cake). For my taste, there should be more blueberries, next time I will use 5-6 cups instead of just 4. Only now as I was writing this post did I actually check out the original recipe. And I found that the streusel were supposed to have almonds. So next time, I will either add chopped almonds or walnuts (I love walnuts and I think they will go very well with the blueberries) to the streusel and see how that works out. I guess you can conclude that I loved the cake from my mentioning a "next time". What I love about this cake is its fruitiness and moisture. Great recipe!



Ingredients:
streusel
2 cups oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
90 g all-purpose flour
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

cake
500 g white whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 dashes salt
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
4 cups non-fat greek yogurt
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
4-5 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large (about 12" x 16") baking sheet with parchment paper. For the streusel, mix all ingredients together. Set aside. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together sugar, eggs, yogurt, and butter. Stir in dry ingredients. Spread 3/4 of batter onto parchment paper. (This is a bit tricky as though is rather sticky.) Top with blueberries. Spread remaining batter on top of blueberries, top with streusel. Bake for 30-40 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let cool. Cut into pieces. Serve immediately or freeze, wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great pick, I loved that cake a lot. It's been making quite some rounds of SRC :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really , really yummy! Good pick!

    ReplyDelete