Friday, December 23, 2011

Canada: Two-Cheddar Macaroni from Ontario

Here is another Canadian dish for this month's Cook Around the Globe. I like to try different mac&cheese variations, especially those with vegetables. This one had a really nice taste. The original recipe had the sharp cheddar mixed in with the pasta and the mild cheddar on top. I reversed it because I had grated mild cheddar and a block of sharp cheddar. I must say, though, that I think the original way would be better. The sharp cheddar would give a more distinctive taste and "edge" to the dish, which it lacks a little. Other than that, I think it's a great family dinner and a healthier version of the classic rich and heavy mac&cheese dinner.

Six months ago: Pot Roast with Gravy

   
Ingredients:
250-375 g small pasta (e.g. elbow macaroni, Barilla's piccolini pasta, or other)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 pinch dried sage
1/2 tsp sugar
2 bunches scallions, sliced
250 g mild cheddar, grated
300 g small fresh tomatoes, diced
1  14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
salt
pepper
250 g (low-fat) sharp cheddar, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup (low-fat) milk

Cook the pasta as per directions. Drain. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together thyme, sage, sugar, salt, pepper, scallions, mild cheddar, fresh and canned tomatoes. Mix with pasta.

Lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole. Fill in pasta mix.

Place sliced cheddar on top. Beat eggs with milk and pour over macaroni. Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly browned and eggs are set.

(adapted from: "The Canadiana Cookbook" by Madame Jehane Benoit)

3 comments:

  1. I've been craving homemade mac n' cheese for quite some time now and this is definitely making me want some even more! It looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful & delicious! Mac & cheese is one of my favorites. I love the addition of scallions & tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a delicious version of mac and cheese =)

    ReplyDelete