Saturday, December 3, 2011

Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas and Feta

This is one of those recipes where, as soon as I see them, I just know they'll end up on my meal plan. I never had chickpeas and eggs together - and as I love both I immediately marked the recipe. I know a lot of Americans think "breakfast" when they see a recipe with eggs. But when I grew up, we only occasionally had eggs for breakfast (and if so, it was on a weekend). But there were several main dishes with eggs that would show up regularly. So my association is not biased towards breakfast or main dish. This recipe turned out really nice. The chickpeas give a nice texture, and the feta has its distinct taste. This was a great vegetarian dinner that will turn up on the meal plan again.


Ingredients (3-4 servings):
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 dashes cayenne pepper
1  15-oz can chickpeas
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1  28-oz can diced tomatoes, crushed with the back of a spoon to release more juices
salt
black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese
4-6 large eggs

warm pita for serving

(If, like me, you prefer the chickpeas really soft, precook them in their liquid over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Drain.) Preheat oven to 425F. Heat oil in a large enough ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add chickpeas, paprika, and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes with juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly. (The chickpeas don't really soften during this step!) Stir in herbs. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Crack eggs into sauce, spacing out evenly. (Alternatively, place chickpeas in individual ovenproof dishes. Then top with cheese and eggs.)  Transfer skillet to oven and bake until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 8-10 minutes. Serve with pita for dipping.


(adapted from Bon Appetit)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful - can't wait for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipe,I like chick pea,but I never thought cooked with egg,and great spices ingredients too on this dish,looks Yummy !!
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds heavenly! Any dish with an egg works for me--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete