Friday, December 16, 2011

Family Recipe: Green Bean Salad

I had been thinking about this dish during the summer because I wanted to start putting more German dishes on my blog. I really like this salad. We often had it as a side when I was a kid. The problem: HubbyGrouch doesn't like green beans. He says that they don't have any taste. Today though, when I was contemplating over which side dish to prepare to go along with the Quebec Pork Pie, I thought green beans would be great. The infusion of the beans with the vinaigrette would - hopefully - resolve the "no taste" problem. Naturally, when I told HubbyGrouch that we were having green bean salad, he gave me his "you-know-I-don't-like-them-so-why-do-have-to-prepare-them-?" look. He reluctantly took the first forkful of salad and the unexpected reaction was: "Wow, they are good! Why haven't you made this before?" Yes!!! (Imagine some fist pumping here.) I finally found a way to serve green beans that we both like. You can eat this salad cold in the summer or lukewarm / warm in the winter.


Ingredients:
500 g green beans (fresh or frozen)
1/2 tsp savory (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme plus 1-2 pinches dried crushed sage)
1 small onion, minced
3 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp oil
1-2 tsp sugar
salt
pepper

If using fresh beans, snip off the tips and cut in half or thirds. Bring 1/2" salted water to a boil. Add beans and savory. Simmer for 12-15 minutes (the beans should not be too soft). In the meantime, whisk together onions, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drain the beans, then mix the hot beans with the marinade. Let cool and chill in the fridge overnight or at least 3 hours. Serve the salad cold or at room temperature.

(recipe by German Mama)

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm always looking for new ways to spruce up veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete