Monday, December 5, 2011

Eggplant Fries

I hardly ever prepare deep-fried food but when I saw this recipe, I just couldn't resist. I love eggplant and the dipping sauce sounded yummy. The recipe turned out very nice and quite easy to prepare. HubbyGrouch and I both loved it. I think I ate a whole eggplant. This recipe was classified as an appetizer but for me it was a great dinner (main course), whereas HubbyGrouch said it wasn't interesting enough as a main course. To cut the calories, next time I would try to bake the eggplant, though.



Ingredients:
dip
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
4 tbsp chopped dill pickle
grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tsp chopped fresh oregano
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tsp lemon juice

fries
2 medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds)
vegetable oil for frying
200 g flour
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
2 1/2 tbsp za'atar
1 1/2 tbsp garlic
1 1/2 tsp salt

Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/2" thick slices, then into 1/2" thick strips. Place eggplant in a large bowl. Add 3 cups ice and enough water to cover. Weigh eggplant down with a plate. Cover and chill for at 2-12 hours. For the dip, mix together yogurt, dill pickle, lemon zest, and oregano. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Pour 2" deep of oil into a large deep pot. Heat oil over medium heat to 325F. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, lemon zest, za'ater, garlic powder, and salt. Drain eggplant. Working in batches, toss damp eggplant in flour mixture to coat. Working in batches, fry eggplant, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes per batch. (Reheat oil to 325F between batches.) Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with lemon salt and lemon juice. Serve immediately with the dip.

(Adapted from Bon Appetit)

3 comments:

  1. Yum Yum, triple yum! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a unique recipe! thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! I love fried foods. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete