Friday, December 9, 2011

Canadian Cranberry Fool

Here is a Canadian dessert that I'll be linking up to this month's Cook Around the Globe. I hardly ever use cranberries in my kitchen, so when I saw this dessert, it seemed a good opportunity to change that. The recipe immediately reminded me of a family favorite dessert - Himbeertraum ("Raspberry Dream"). The original recipe was only a mix of cranberry compote and whipped cream. However, I like the texture that coarsely chopped meringue add to the Himbeertraum, so I decided to add some to this dessert as well. Incidentally, it was good to have more sugar (from the meringue) because the cranberries were a little on the tart side. I think next time, instead of leaving them whole, I will either coarsely chop them or maybe puree the compote. Otherwise, the taste was very refreshing, though in our opinion not as good as Himbeertraum.

   

Ingredients:
juice and grated zest of 1 orange
100 g sugar
300 g cranberries, fresh or frozen
250 ml heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp orange liquor (optional)
chopped meringue (optional)

Bring sugar with 150 ml water to a boil. Add orange zest and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cranberries and orange juice, simmer for 5 minutes until all cranberries are burst open. Remove from heat, let cool. (Pass through a sieve if you desire a smoother texture and less bitterness.) Whip cream. Lightly fold cranberries, meringue (if using) and liquor (if using) into cream. Or layer ingredients in a bowl and lightly mix just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment