Friday, December 30, 2011

Alaskan Shrimp Soup

This is my only Alaskan recipe for this month's Cook Around the Globe. When I found this recipe, I just knew I was going to prepare it. I love soup, I love potatoes, I love shrimp - and I really enjoyed this soup. It was so easy and quick to prepare and had a great taste. Although simple, it has lots of different tastes and textures. The only thing I will change next time? I will make at least twice as much of it! (I did change the preparation steps as the original recipe calls for cooking the potatoes in the thickened water, which isn't very practical as the flour tends to stick to the bottom of the pot.) 


   

Ingredients:
250 g potatoes, cut into 8-10 mm dice
salt
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, minced
3 tbsp flour
pepper
150 g frozen peas, thawed
300 ml low-fat milk
350g - 400 g shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tbsp minced parsley

Place potatoes and 300 ml salted water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-8 minutes, until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set potatoes and boiling liquid aside. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent and soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in potato liquid, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, add peas and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring very often. Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes and shrimp and heat until shrimp are just opaque in the center. Adjust seasoning and add parsley. (If the soup is too thick, add more milk. Thicken soup with cornstarch if you prefer it more chowder-like.)

(adapted from: http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Alaska_Shrimp_Soup)

4 comments:

  1. This soup looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely recipe!Will definitely give it a try since I am a soup lover as well :)Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Alaskan, I can tell you that I would SO eat this--it looks wonderful and relatively healthy to boot!

    ReplyDelete