Monday, November 14, 2011

Poland: Veal Goulash

Here is a great recipe for veal goulash. According to my cookbook, this is a Polish dish. (I will link it up with this month's Cook Around the Globe.) Sometimes when I look at recipes that are supposed to from a particular country or region, I have serious doubts about the authenticity. I don't claim to be an expert for any kind of world cuisine, but sometimes the ingredients just don't fit my perception and idea of a particular kitchen. This recipe is one of them. I would not have expected allspice as a main flavor contributor in an Eastern European dish. However, this goulash was just damn tasty and delicious. The meat was very tender, the sauce creamy and flavorful. That's definitely a keeper!


   

Ingredients:
500 g veal shoulder, cut into 4 cm cubes
200 g onion, diced
2 tbsp butter
salt, white pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 small bay leaves
3-4 tbsp cream

Melt butter in a flat pan over medium-high heat. Add meat and lightly brown on all sides. Lower heat to medium, add onions, and cook until translucent. Season with salt, pepper, allspice, and bay leaves. Cook until all liquid has evaporated and meat is golden brown. Add 250 ml hot water. Cover, leaving a little gap so that vapor can escape. Simmer goulash for 90 minutes. (Add a little more hot water if the goulash gets to dry.) Remove lid, add cream, and simmer until sauce is thickened and creamy, 5-10 minutes. Season to taste and serve with sides of your choice (e.g. pasta and broccoli).

2 comments:

  1. Mm, I love goulash. Especially the sweet-style ones from back in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the authenticity thing. Goulash is an iconic dish this is the first time I have heard 'veal' associated with it. I bet is tasted great. Rgds, A

    ReplyDelete