Sunday, November 6, 2011

Goat Cheese, Spinach & Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast with Roasted Carrots & Potatoes

This was supposed to be my contribution to this month's Secret Recipe Club. Unfortunately, the freak snowstorm and ensuing power outage prevented me from getting this dish and post done in time. However, the blog I had been assigned, Lindsay'The Lean Green Bean, has a lot of great recipes. Every time I looked through the recipes, I changed my mind which one to choose because I always found one that sounded even better than the one I had previously chosen. I finally settled on Goat Cheese, Spinach & Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast. I chose to prepare a side of roasted potatoes and carrots. Basically, I was just looking for an opportunity to use these cute little divided oven dishes I had bought recently. The dish turned out delicious!

                          Turkey and Filo Roulade


Julienned Roast Carrots & Potatoes

Ingredients:
3 medium potatoes, cut into 2.5"x1/4"x1/4" sticks
3 large carrots, cut into 2.5"x1/4"x1/4" sticks
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, mashed
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp Italian herbs
salt
pepper
1-2 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all ingredients together. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Divide among 2 ovenproof dishes or place in one bigger dish. Bake 25-30 minutes until potatoes and carrots are soft and golden brown.


Goat Cheese, Spinach & Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup fresh baby spinach
4-5 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
3 strips bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled, 2-3 tsp bacon fat reserved
paprika
black pepper
salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Roughly chop the spinach, place in a bowl, and add 1/4 cup water. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Drain excess water. Add cheese and bacon to spinach and stir to combine. Cut a slit in the side of each chicken breast and stuff 1/3 of spinach mixture inside each one. Season chicken with paprika and pepper. Heat reserved bacon fat over medium-high heat, add chicken and cook 1-2 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with salt. Transfer the chicken to a sheet of aluminum foil, wrap. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Optional, if using individual dishes for the side, add one chicken breast to each one after 10 minutes so both are done at the same time. (Be careful when opening the foil - the steam is hot!)

(adapted from The Lean Green Bean)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... yummy and love the side dish its colorful and I just love baked potatoes and carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks so good. It's a chilly day here and so a meal like this would be perfect. I'm sorry you weren't able to make it in time for the SRC, but glad you did it today!

    ReplyDelete