Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Poland: Chicken Croquettes with Mushrooms

I while ago, I had some leftover mushrooms and tried to come up with a way of using them (as I am not a particular fan of mushrooms, I had to find a way of hiding them somehow in the dish). I thought of preparing turkey patties with mushrooms and rosemary. When I was looking through recipes for Eastern European dishes for this month's Cook Around the Globe, I stumbled upon this recipe which perfectly fit my original idea. I took the first few bites from these croquettes and had a big surprise. They taste was so familiar! Then I realized that they reminded me (more than that, their taste and texture was like) the Nuremberg-style bratwürste I had bought at Trader Joe's a while back. Which is amazing because those little sausage contain neither chicken nor mushrooms! So instead of the expected new flavor experience, I had childhood memory dinner tonight.
I still have to catch up with a lot of blog posts from this months. I was busy working on an Advent Calendar for LittleGrouch. I finally finished and hope to go full speed ahead with all the backed-up post I have to write. This is a picture of what I have been working on:

Advent Calendar with a little goodie for each day until Christmas.


   
Ingredients:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
160 g mushrooms, minced
65 g bread crumbs
500 g minced chicken
2 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3-4 tbsp flour
3-4 tbsp oil

Melt butter ove medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Remove from heat, let cool slightly. Combine bread crumbs, chicken, egg yolks, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in mushrooms. Whip egg whites. Stir half of whipped egg whites into chicken mixture, fold in remaining egg whites. With moist hands, form 16 croquettes, about 7-8 cm in length and 2-3 cm wide. Dust with flour. Working in batches, heat a little oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add croquettes and cook for about 10 minutes, turning often, until browned on all sides and cooked through. Serve with sides of your choice (e.g. pickled beets and mixed greens.)

No comments:

Post a Comment