Sunday, November 27, 2011

Baltic Beef Zrazy (Baltic-Style Rouladen of Beef)

I love German-style beef rouladen. So when I found this recipe for Baltic rouladen, I simply had to include it in my exploration of Eastern European cooking for this month's Cook Around the Globe. Wow, I really loved this dish! These rouladen are at least as good as the German ones I grew up with - maybe even a little better :-)  I served them with Spätzle (German egg-noodles) and red cabbage, but you can choose the sides according to your taste. Lucky me that there is a lot of leftover sauce. I have mentioned a few times that I am a sauce-junkie. So I can enjoy this fantastic sauce with potatoes or dumplings later this week.



   

Ingredients:
2 pounds round steak, cut into 6 slices
salt, pepper
1 medium onion, minced
2 slices bacon, finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 large slices dark rye bread
750ml - 1 liter beef bouillon
1 egg, lightly beaten
all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsalted butter
corn starch (optional)
250 ml sour cream (at room temperature)
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or dill

Pound the meat as thin as possible. Season with salt and pepper. Soak bread in bouillon. Place bacon and onion in a skillet and sauté over medium heat until bacon is crisp and the onion is tender. Add mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Squeeze bread dry. Mix together bacon, onion, bread, and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Divide bread stuffing among rouladen, and roll up, tucking in the edges to completely enclose the stuffing. Fasten with a toothpick or tie with thread. Dusten rouladen with flour. Melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown rouladen on all sides. Add bouillon, cover, and simmer about 1 hour, until meat is tender. Turn rouladen once or twice. Remoe rouladen from pot, keep warm. Thicken sauce with corn starch if desired. Stir sour cream and parsley or dill into sauce. Transfer rouladen back into pot and keep warm until serving.

2 comments:

  1. These roulades look delicious! And I'm with ya - I'm a sauce junkie too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you are cooking my favourite food :) though I am lithuanian, I don't cook them myself :)

    ReplyDelete