Monday, October 17, 2011

Cape Verde: Tuna with Coconut Sauce

Here is another recipe from West Africa for this month's Cook Around the Globe. This dish from Cape Verde (at least according to my cookbook) sound great - quick & simple, yet delicious. And indeed it was. We just love to eat tuna steaks. They have so much taste and a great texture. Is this recipe authentic - I don't know. I often come across recipes in cookbooks where I am very much in doubt. But I really wanted to make this dish. For now, let's just assume it really is from Cape Verde.

Six months ago: General Tso's Chicken

   

Ingredients:
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp curry powder
125 ml fish bouillon
60 ml coconut milk
salt
pepper
1 pinch of sugar
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tuna steaks
1-2 tsp vegetable oil

Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add curry powder, then add bouillon and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to thicken. Season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar, and lemon juice. Keep warm. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season tuna with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook about 3 minutes per side. Serve with tuna steaks with sauce and rice.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing, nothing, beats a good tuna steak. Coconut sauce sounds like a fabulous addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love coconut and LOVE tuna. I will have to try this combo sometime. Buzz!

    PS I'm having my first ever giveaway today. Come check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a tuna steak in ages! This sounds amazing with the coconut sauce =)

    ReplyDelete