Friday, October 28, 2011

Togo: Tilapia with Onion Sauce

Here is yet another dish from West Africa for this month's Cook Around the Globe event. It is difficult to sell fish dishes to HubbyGrouch, but he did like this one (and so did I for that matter.) This dish was easy to prepare, quick, and yummy.


   

Ingredients:
350 g Tilapia fillet
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 tbsp peanut oil or butter
salt
pepper
1 small can (8.5 oz) tomato sauce
cayennepepper
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
nutmeg

Cut the fish into 2x2 inch pieces. Dust the fish with flour, then breadcrumbs. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add fish and brown on both sides. Remove from pan. Reduce heat to medium heat. Add remaining oil, onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent. Add tomato sauce, 1/4 cup water, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. Add fish and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with rice or flatbread.

4 comments:

  1. We are always looking for good recipes for talapia, this sounds and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I like the cayenne pepper addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this one in my inbox last night and I had to save it and read it as it was getting really late. Wow, I had Tilapia in my freezer last week. I wish I had this recipe. Next time I buy some, I am making this. This looks really delish! Simple but I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love tilapia...sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete