Monday, October 3, 2011

Africa: Stewed Plantain

This is the first dish I prepared for this month's "Cook Around the Globe" event. When I told HubbyGrouch that I chose West Africa for this month, he asked for a plantain dish. Plantain is a food he grew up with and he likes to have some from time to time. I am not so crazy about them, but I am always open to try them in different ways. In the recipe it wasn't specified whether to use yellow or green plantains (the yellow ones being rather sweet). So you can choose according to your own taste and preference. I used green ones because I don't particularly like the sweet main dishes. While I was preparing this dish, LittleGrouch came to the kitchen and told me it smelled good and this was his favorite. It was very cute though I know from experience that it by no means indicates whether he is actually going to eat more than one bite. But he did eat several slices of plantain and HubbyGrouch liked the dish as well. It was a little too plain for me but as I said in the beginning: I am not too crazy about plantain anyway.

This post is linked to Jane Deere Fusion Fridays.

   

Ingredients:
2 plantains (yellow or green), peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 small onion, chopped
3 small tomatoes, diced
2 tsp walnut oil
1 bouillon cube
2 tsp curry powder
2/3 cups slivered almonds (or cashews)
salt

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and until translucent. Add plantain and cook, stirring constantly (the riper the plantain, the easier it might stick to the pan!). When the onions start to brown, add tomatoes, 150 ml water (about 250 when using green plantain), bouillon cube, curry powder, 1/3 cup almonds, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes (about 15 minutes when using green plantains). (Don't cook the plantains for too long; they will get mushy.) Roast remaining almonds without oil. Serve plantains with rice, sprinkled with roasted almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment