Monday, October 3, 2011

Family Recipe: Sauerkraut Soup

The weather is getting cold, that means it's soup season. Unfortunately, HubbyGrouch doesn't share my love for soups and hot pots; and my love for sauerkraut neither. So, I made this soup all for myself. I am going to have several days of sauerkraut soup lunches - and looking forward to it! Yes, I know that sauerkraut - like herring - takes some getting used to. But this soup is one of the best getting-warm remedies for me. Usually, I would make this soup with "Pfefferwürstchen" (thin peppery sausages that are a kind of mix between salami and kielbasa). They are not available in this area but green pepper salami is a worthy substitute. I sometimes add some shredded green cabbage to make the soup a little milder. I hope I succeeded in at least making you curious about this dish (I don't presume that a dish like that can cause a lot of mouth-watering in an international audience) :-)


Ingredients:
2 pounds sauerkraut
1-2 large onions, diced
1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
10-12 juniper berries
3 bay leaves
(optional) 300 g green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 quart beef bouillon
(optional) 1/2 cup white wine
4-5 oz green pepper salami, quartered lengthwise and sliced 3-5 mm thick
1 1/2 - 2 cup pineapple juice

Place sauerkraut, onion, potatoes, juniper berries, bay leaves, cabbage (if using), pepper, bouillon, and white wine (if using) in a pressure cooker. Cook soup for 30 minutes. (If you are not using a pressure cooker, simmer soup for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until potatoes are soft.) Remove bay leaves and juniper berries. Add salami, simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pineapple juice, salt, and pepper.

(recipe by German Mama)

3 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, this looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. Will definitely have to give it a try this winter!

    ReplyDelete