Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Curried Eggplant Coconut Soup

My plan for this cold season was to cook one big pot of soup each week for my lunches. This recipe was inspired by an eggplant recipe I had seen on the internet. I thought I had saved it but it's nowhere to be found. Anyway, I loved this soup. It was thick and creamy and spicy and had just the right amount of acidity. This recipe will provide me with lunch for 4-5 days this week - yum!



Ingredients:
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced
3-4 tbsp (hot) red curry paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 kg eggplant, diced
500 g potatoes, diced
800 ml coconut milk
4-5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable bouillon)
2 tbsp garam masala
salt
1-2 chicken bouillon cubes (or vegetable bouillon cubes)
lemon juice / amchoor powder / tamarind

Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. add onion and cook until translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Add garlic powder, eggplant, potatoes, coconut milk, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until eggplant and potato are soft, about 30 minutes. Puree using an immersion mixer. Add more water or milk if soup is too thick. Season to taste with garam masala, salt, bouillon cubes and lemon juice or amchoor powder or tamarind.

1 comment:

  1. I love this amazing combination of ingredients. Eggplant and coconut are a match made in heaven!

    I've done a lentil and eggplant soup with Thai flavors.

    ReplyDelete