Friday, October 7, 2011

Cider-Maple Pork Chops with Apple Compote

I have always wanted to try pork chops with apples; a classic combination. So when I found this recipe in Food & Wine, I just had to try it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a small bottle of "bitter". So I used grapefruit juice and maple sugar instead. After preparing the marinade, I forgot that I needed more grapefruit juice for the glaze and compote - and drank the rest of the juice. I had to improvise and use lemon juice instead. The taste of the compote was okay but I thought the cooking time of 25 minutes was way too long and basically turned the "compote" into applesauce. 10-15 minutes should be more than enough to soften up the apples without getting mushy. I also didn't think that the marinade gave much of a flavor to the meat. However, I did save the marinade to use it as a braising liquid. HubbyGrouch really liked the pork and apple together, whereas for me, it didn't live up to my expectations.


Ingredients:
marinade
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup grapefruit juice
1/4 cup Bushmills Whiskey
1 tbsp maple sugar
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 garlic cloves, mashed
2 pork chops

glaze
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice

compote
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced 1/2 inch small
1/4 cup apple cider
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp whiskey
2 tsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 dashes cinnamon

1-2 tsp vegetable oil
salt & pepper

Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together, add pork chops. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, boil the cider, maple syrup, and lemon juice over moderately hight heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool. For the compote, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until apples are soft and sauce is thickened. Keep warm. Remove the pork chops from the marinade and pat dry. Heat oil until shimmering. Season pork with salt and pepper and cook over moderately hight heat, turning, until nicely browned, about 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and brush meat with the glaze. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, turning and brushing with additional glaze, until cooked through. Serve the chops with the compote and your choice of sides (I chose homefries and carrots).

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe! Apples go hand in hand with pork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe, this sounds so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combo of apples and pork is definitely a good one! Bummer that this didn't pan out for your tastes, but then again, you can always tweak it to fit your style =)

    ReplyDelete