Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chowder-Like Corn Soup with Potatoes, Peas & Black Forest Prosciutto

Today I finally got around to using up my two cans of creamed corn that had been in my pantry forever. In fact, they were getting really, really close to their expiration date. I don't particularly like corn. I think I had bought these cans because I was contemplating pleasing HubbyGrouch by preparing some (in my humble opinion rather too sweet and corn-y) corn pudding/bread. As you can guess, that didn't happen. I came up with this recipe instead - and I must say it was quite nice. The prosciutto adds a great flavor and, together with the herbs, suppresses the otherwise too intense (for my taste) corn flavor. Instead of prosciutto, you can of course use ham or salami or you can leave the meat out.



Ingredients:
400 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
500 ml chicken broth
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
4-5 tbsp all-purpose flour
2  14.75-ounce cans creamed corn
1  15-ounce can peas, drained
250 ml low-fat milk
1-2 tbsp Italian herbs
pepper
salt
1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
2-3 oz Black Forest prosciutto, coarsely chopped
2-3 tsp olive oil
cornstarch, optional

Place potatoes and chicken broth in a large enough pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 8 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. In the meantime, mix together butter and flour. When the potatoes are done, add creamed corn, peas, milk, and herbs to the pot. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and bouillon powder. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the soup is bubbling, decrease heat to low, stir in butter-flour mix in about 3 steps, until soup has desired thickness. If you want a thicker soup, dissolve some cornstarch in water and add to the soup. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and fry until crisp, about 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Ladle soup into bowls and top with prosciutto.

2 comments:

  1. I do like this chowder! The peas and the Black Forest make it quite different and very appealing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn chowder, this sounds sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete