Saturday, October 8, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Quiche with Mashed Potato Crust

This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog "No Reason Needed". There is a great variety of recipes to chose from on the blog. One of the first recipes I saw on the list was this one. I had broccoli in the freezer, but when I saw "mashed potato crust", the recipe was sold! How could I not have chosen this recipe? I love potatoes, I love quiche, and I had never made a quiche with potato crust. Selling the dish to my family was a little more difficult. Here is a conversation I had with HubbyGrouch (likes quiche but not potatoes) and LittleGrouch while preparing the quiche:

HG: "Are you boiling potatoes?"
me:  "Yes."
HG: "Wow, I recognized the smell."
(A while later)
HG: "What are we having for dinner?"
me:  "Broccoli quiche."
LG: "I want to see the broccoli"
(I lift him up to look into the pot.)
LG: "Ugh, yak! I don't like it."
HG: "So what were you boiling potatoes for?"
me:  "The quiche has a mashed potato crust."
HG: "Oh, no! What are you doing to my quiche?"

I am used to reactions like that when I announce dinner plans to my two grouches. In the end, LittleGrouch ate almost all of HubbyGrouch's crust plus a few more fork-fulls of quiche, and HubbyGrouch commented that he didn't even taste the potatoes and liked the quiche. I will definitely make this quiche again. I would like the crust to be crunchier, though. So next time, I will do one of the following: a) bake the potatoes instead of boiling them, b) bake the crust longer, or c) bake the crust at a higher temperature. This is a very versatile recipe. You can use your choice of cheese, veggies, add a little ham if you fancy some meat, add some herbs, ..... the sky's the limit.


Ingredients:
crust
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil or butter

filling
300-350 g broccoli, cooked, cooled, and coarsely chopped
180-200 g cheddar, gruyere or cheese of your choice, grated
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
nutmeg
6-8 scallions, sliced

Cook potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well, mash with milk and salt. Preheat oven to 375F. Brush a 9-inch quiche form with part of the olive oil. Press mashed potatoes in form. Brush with remaining oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, until potatoes are lightly browned and crusty. Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Arrange broccoli on crust, top with grated cheese. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with scallions. Bake quiche for 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed, browned, and just set. Let set for about 10 minutes before serving.


This post is linked to Potato Blog Hop on Katherine Martinelli.

23 comments:

  1. I just changed my mind about what we are having for dinner. This looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's soo funny to see which recipes spark an appeal with people. I've recently had this same recipe chosen twice.

    So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a potato crusted veggie quiche with a crispy crust but it's a bit different from this one, I may give this a try with your suggested changes.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! Perfect SRC choice!  I love your blog, I am your newest Facebook Fan!  

    If you haven't seen my Low Calorie Greek Baked Eggs yet, I would love for you to check out my SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm this looks delicious!! Who doesn't like potatoes?! That's crazy in my world! :) Seriously, this sounds amazing...a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible, what a great SRC post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow I would really love to try this for breakfast :) The potato crust looks super delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quiche is wonderful by itself but I could only imagine how awesome it could be with a potato crust! mmmmm good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quiche looks fantastic! I love quiche, definitely need to make it more often at home. What a cool idea for the crust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of a potato crust! So great! Made quiche for dinner last night, but with a boring regular crust :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Love the conversation the quiche sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm going to have to try that with sweet potato too! Great choice to highlight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to try this! I am into savory tarts lately, trying different crusts. Will keep this one in mind.
    You should not tell them anything before you serve.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love dinners like this... a nice change from the usual. I get the same reactions from my family when I'm making dinner sometimes... I just keep moving along and often they end up loving what I've made. Nice SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic recipe! Mashed potatoes crust - how can you beat that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made a crust like this. That quiche looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That quiche looks delicious! I have a hubby who is just the same, runs at the mention of anything potato. I miss my mashed potatoes so much. But what if he dosn't know what the crust is made of ....
    Hmmm ....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Found this post through Bluebonnets & Brownies, who's also in the Secret Recipe Club. This mashed potato crust looks *so* cool, and my coworkers and I were just talking about making quiche over lunch today--I think it's a sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to admit the title of the dish wouldn't sell me but the photos sure do! I never have had a mashed potato crust....and your hubby - sounds just like mine only he would be complaining I was making quiche entirely. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of the mashed potato crust! Maybe you can broil the crust for a few minutes after baking it and before adding the other toppings to get it crunchier? Either way, sounds like a great dinner and perfect choice for this month's SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm intrigued. A quiche with a mashed potato crust sounds delectable! I'll have to give it a try :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/10/octobers-secret-recipe-club-avocado.html

    ReplyDelete