Friday, October 14, 2011

Apple, Rum Raisin & Walnut Muffins

I made these for a bake sale today. I have mentioned before that I don't like cinnamon. Well, I know that most people do like it, and as these muffins weren't for me, I did put in cinnamon. I actually tried a mini-muffin because I wanted to know how the apples, nuts, and raisins blended in together. I must say they were not bad - would in fact be really nice without the cinnamon. HubbyGrouch liked them as well although he is not a cake-eater in general. I doubled the original recipe and prepared 12 regular size and 36 mini muffins.


Ingredients (for 24 muffins):
100 g raisins
4 tbsp rum
560 g all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
2 dashes salt
1 tsp cinnamon
200 g unsalted butter, melted
300 g sugar
2 eggs
500 g buttermilk
2 envelopes vanilla sugar (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
3 small apples, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
100 g chopped walnuts

topping
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Place raisins and rum in ziplock sandwich bag. Squeeze out the air, seal the bag, and place on a flat surface, trying have only a single layer of raisins so they can all soak up the rum. Let raisins soak for 1-2 hours or until almost all liquid is absorbed. Line enough wells of (mini-) muffin forms with paper muffin cups. Preheat the oven to 400F. For the topping, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. To prepare the batter, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla sugar. Stir flour mix, apples, raisins, and nuts into batter until just mixed together. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake regular muffins for 15-18 minutes, mini muffins for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, muffins are the best! These sound great, all the ingredients work so well together. Apples, raisins, walnuts, YUM! They look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great recipe! I like combination of rum, raisins, apple and walnuts!

    ReplyDelete