Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Germany: Zwetschgen-Datschi (Tray-Baked Prune Cake)

It is prune season again. They are one of my favorite fruits. If I had to pick a favorite recipe it would be this one from Bavaria. There are of course several different variations of this recipe, using more dough, different relative amounts of flour, eggs, etc. You can certainly play around with the dough and adjust it to your liking. I love the intense and slightly tart flavor the prunes on this cake. You can always add more sugar and/or whipped cream to this cake. I have never tried it but I think other fruits like apricots, plums, nectarines, peaches etc. can be used for this cake as well. This cake freezes really well. I usually wrap the pieces, in twos, first in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil.


Ingredients:
dough
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
90 g sugar
200 ml lukewarm milk
400 g all-purpose flour
1 dash salt
1 egg
75 g unsalted butter, melted

topping
1250 g prunes
50 g chopped almonds or walnuts
1-2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon (or nutmeg, allspice)

For the dough, knead all ingredients together into a smooth dough. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 30 min - 1 hour. In the meantime, pit and quarter the prunes lengthwise. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough and place on the baking sheet. Arrange prunes on dough. Sprinkle with nuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Bake for about 25 minutes. Let cool and cut into 15-20 pieces. Serve as is or with whipped cream and sugar.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Looking forward to the recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad that I found this recipe. My mother was a true Bavarian (from Bad Reichenhall) and I grew up with this. I have been looking for the yeast version of the crust, because she never wrote it down. I do blog a lot of German recipes, because it is part of my heritage. Now that my Mutti is gone, I'm trying to carry on he recipes of her home country. Danke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for the recipe.
    I also have been looking for an recipe of the yeast
    version of the crust.

    Annelie

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU VERY MUCH THIS WAS A TRUE CHILDHOOD TRADITION. WE USED TO GO OUT SATURDAYS AND PICK FRESH PRUNES AND BAKE THE CAKE SUNDAY MORNING...NOW IT IS SOMETHING I CAN DO WITH MY CHILDREN.

    ReplyDelete