Friday, September 30, 2011

Trout with Warm Pine-Nut Dressing and Fennel Puree

Lately, I have been quite neglecting my cooking magazines. So today, being done with my Arabic dishes for September's Cook Around the Globe event, I thought it was time to pick a recipe from a magazine. I chose this one from Food & Wine because a) I love trout, b) I had trout in my freezer, and c) it sounded delicious. And it was delicious indeed. I doubled up on the fennel puree and added two small potatoes, that I found in my pantry, to it. I think without the potatoes the puree would have been too watery. I like to have fennel from time to time but HubbyGrouch is not too crazy about it. This garlicky puree was a good way to sneak some into our dinner. I served the dish with a side salad. So basically, if you leave out the little potatoes, this dish doesn't have a lot of carbs. It's an accidental very healthy low-carb dinner. Besides being healthy, the taste was also great. Very delicious and unique with the porcini flavor of the sauce. I think I know what to do the next time I crave fennel and trout.


Ingredients:
2 large fennel bulbs, cut into thin wedges
3-4 oz potatoes, cubes
12 garlic cloves, peeled
vegetable oil
salt
freshly ground pepper
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
1/2 cup pine nuts
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 - 2 pounds trout fillets, cut into 4-8 pieces

Preheat oven to 425F. Arrange fennel wedges, potatoes, and 10 garlic cloves on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 2 tbsp oil. Fold the foil into a packet and roast for about 1 hour, until vegetables are tender. Puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add mushrooms, cover, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. In a medium skillet, heat 1-2 tbsp oil. Add nuts and cook over moderate heat until the nuts are golden, about 3-4 minutes. Strain the mushroom liquid into the skillet, add vinegar, press remaining garlic into skillet, and simmer over moderate heat until liquid is reduced to about 6-8 tbsp, about 8-10 minutes. Add 2-3 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat 3-4 tsp oil in a large enough skillet over medium heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to the skillet, skin side down. Cook until the skin is crisp and brown and the fish is almost cooked through. Flip the fish and cook for 30-60 seconds more. Serve the fish on top of the puree, with a side salad. Drizzle dressing over fish.

3 comments:

  1. Back at you tonight... I love trout, and this looks totally awesome! The pine nut dressing... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to use fennel bulbs. I'm anticipating a harvest in my garden for them. I can't wait to cook my fennel harvest.

    ReplyDelete