Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Saudi Kabsa

Here is another recipe for September's Cook Around the Globe. I selected this from a great blog called Arabic Food and has tons of delicious recipes from the Middle East and Arabian Peninsula. If you like the flavors of that region, be sure to check out the blog. This dish is adapted from one of the recipes for Saudi Kabsa on that blog. HubbyGrouch loved the tasty rice and even LittleGrouch had seconds!

   
Ingredients:
2-3 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
peel of 1 lemon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cardamom
salt & pepper to taste
1 8.5-oz can tomato sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
pine nuts
raisins
1 cup long grain rice

Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and let brown. Add all the spices. Add tomato sauce and salt & pepper to taste. Heat until sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken to sauce and let sauté 2-3 minutes. Turn over chicken and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add bouilon powder and about 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Remove the chicken to a roasting pan. Add rice to the cooking liquid and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Broil the chicken in the oven until nicely browned. Arrange rice on a plate, top with the chicken, and sprinkle with nuts and raisins.

5 comments:

  1. Kabsa is one of my most favorite recipes of the world, and I have never tried to make it myself.... yours looks wonderful! Thanks for the link to Arabic Food too, I found all kinds of great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had Kabsa but that could change. I love all the spices and choice of ingredients - especially the pine nuts, raisins, and of course, the chicken! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the challenge this month. I'd never had Kabsa until I made some myself. Very tasty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! What a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a nice looking Kabsa. I learned to make mine whil in KSA ...

    ReplyDelete