Thursday, September 1, 2011

Potato Pancakes with Shrimp

Whenever I feel like including a potato dish in the meal plan, potato pancake comes to my mind. I just love'em! For today, I thought I'd try to add shrimps - just to try something different. I liked the taste and even HubbyGrouch said they were good. Next time, though, I would cut the shrimp into smaller pieces and mix into the potato batter. Sure, it looks nice when they are visible like this but they curl up and don't fall off the pancake, making it more difficult to handle and eat the dish. This recipe is definitely a keeper!



Ingredients:
1 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1 onion, cut into 1" cubes
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 eggs
salt
pepper
25-30 medium shrimp, halved lengthwise (or coarsly chopped)

olive oil

dip
1/2 pound sour cream
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
1 garlic clove, smashed
salt
pepper

salad
4-5 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 tsp Italian herbs
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp oil
salt
pepper

For the dip, mix all ingredients together, season to taste with salt and pepper. Prepare 1-2 hours before serving and place in the fridge, so the flavors can develop. For the potato pancakes, place potatoes and onion in a blender or mixer, and mix until finely chopped. Add starch, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Season shrimps with salt and pepper. For the salad, mix all ingredients together and let sit on the counter until ready to serve. In a large skillet, heat 1-2 tsp oil over medium heat. Working in batches, pour about 3 tbsp potato mix per pancake in the skillet and flatten out to form pancakes. Top with 3-4 shrimp halves.  Cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with tomato salad and dip.

6 comments:

  1. I love potato pancakes! Great idea adding shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love German food. What a great idea using the shrimp. Very fusion. ;.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato pancakes, but shrimp! Now you really have my attention. Will definitely be trying this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shrimp, and the title of the dish attracted me to your page. I expected a long, complicated recipe, but it looks easy I'll definitely have to give this one a try. You're showing us that shrimp can go with almost everything (and make it even more scrumptious).

    Alaiyo
    Pescetarian Journal

    ReplyDelete