Friday, September 9, 2011

My Favorite Pork Ribs (Rubbed, Braised and Glazed Pork Ribs)

These ribs are absolutely fantastic! The combination of spices is just great and the sauce is incredibly tasty. I have tried several different recipes for ribs - but there's just nothing like these. The meat just falls off the bones (so much so that it's difficult to serve the ribs). My mouth is watering as I am thinking about what to write. There are just no words to describe the incredible taste and tenderness of this dish. I could even do without the honey glaze - I don't care much for anything sweet with my meat. Maybe next time I brush them with the sauce for the glazing step. The only thing left to say is that this recipe is adapted from Food & Wine. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
Rub
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard powder
1 1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tbsp salt

Ribs
8 pounds pork babyback ribs, cut into 3-rib sections
5 tbsp unsalted butter
2 onions, cut into 1-inch dice
2 bay leaves
One 750-ml bottle fruity red wine, such as Pinot Noir
3 quarts chicken stock
1/2 cup honey, warmed

Mix all the spices for the rub together. Sprinkle the spice rub all over the ribs; refrigerate overnight.  Let the ribs return to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350F.  In a very large ovenproof pot, melt 1 tbsp of the butter.  Add one-third of the ribs and cook over moderately high heat until browned, 2 minutes per side; transfer to a baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining rib sections, using 1 tbsp of butter per batch. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in the pot.  Add the onions and bay leaves, cover and cook over moderate heat, until starting to brown, 8 minutes.  Add the wine and boil for 4 minutes.  Add the stock and bring to a boil.  Return the ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer.  Cover and braise for 2 hours, until very tender. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid. Transfer the ribs to 2 large rimmed baking sheets, meaty sides up.  Boil the liquid over high heat until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 45 minutes.  Discard the bay leaves and puree the sauce. Preheat the oven to 500F.  Brush the ribs with half of the honey.  Roast for 12-15 minutes, basting once with the remaining honey, until the ribs are richly glazed.  Serve with the sauce, your favorite crunchy bread, and a side salad.

2 comments:

  1. You made my mouth water as well! There's nothing better than pork ribs done well. I was surprised to see that they weren't cooked on the grill, but they look fantastic just the same.

    I'm loving the ingredients for the rub and the fact that there's Pinot Noir in the sauce. Wow, you can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ribs!!! And I love them even more when they fall off the bone! I’ll give your recipe a go…maybe I like it even more then my own recipe!

    ReplyDelete