Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chili-Style Hotpot with Ground Pork

As soon as the days got a little colder, I developed a longing for chili. I could have done the usual Chili con  carne but I have so many chili recipes that I wanted to try something new. When I saw this one, I knew I had a winner. Ground pork (I have never made chili with ground pork before!), beans, and bell pepper. It also had one rather surprising ingredient: pork gravy. Let me say that this chili was absolutely delicious. Even LittleGrouch liked it - though it took some persuasion to make him take the first bite. After that, he couldn't get enough - especially of the beans. This recipe sure is a keeper and will show up again on my meal plan this fall/winter.

This recipe is linked to Texas Star Chili Cook Off 2011.
This recipe is linked to Jane Deere's Fusion Friday 9/29/2011.


Ingredients:
1 tbsp oil
100 g bacon, coarsely chopped
500 g ground pork
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 dashes cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" by 1" strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4" by 1" strips
125 ml red wine
1 envelope roasted pork gravy, whisked into 250 ml cold water
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1   15-oz can tomato sauce
1   14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
tabasco
1   29-oz can kidney beans
1 tbsp honey
snipped chives, optional

Heat oil and bacon in a chili pot over medium heat. Cook until the bacon has released the grease and is nicely browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add pork and brown, 5-7 minutes, breaking it up with a fork or spoon. Add onion and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper, and bell peppers. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in wine, gravy, oregano, thyme, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tabasco. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add kidney beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with honey, tabasco, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle with snipped chives if desired. Serve with rice or bread.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great chili to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi German Mama,
    I just love your Chili. The use of Pork is very different, but looks awesome. It is a great recipe. I am so excited that you entered it in The Texas Star Chili Cook Off 2011. Thank you so much for your entry and good luck with the Cook Off!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chili looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete