Sunday, September 4, 2011

Baked Eggs with Black Forest Prosciutto and Pepper Jack

This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog Mrs. Happy Homemaker. I found a lot of yumminess on the blog - especially amongst the breakfast dishes. As we are having visitors, I decided to treat them to a nice breakfast. I chose to combine two egg dishes I found on the blog and came up with a hybrid recipe of Simply Ham & Eggs Breakfast Bowls and Prosciutto Egg Cups. I decided to use Black Forest Prosciutto for the dish - I prefer it to either ham or Italian-style prosciutto. The choice of cheese is totally flexible - depending on your taste, the meat you are using, what you might have in your fridge... I baked the eggs for 15 minutes as per instructions from the blog, but for my taste, the egg yolk was too set. That's why I recommend a baking time of about 12 minutes if, like me, you like to dip a piece of bread into a nice, runny egg yolk. Otherwise, I really liked the dish and I'm sure it will be on the breakfast table again before long.
(For now, this blog entry is shown with the date Sep 12 for the purpose of the Secret Recipe Club. But as my blog is my food diary, I will move it to the date on which I actually prepared the dish in a day or two.)



Ingredients (per muffin well):
butter or cooking spray
1 slice of black forest prosciutto
1-2 thin tomato slices
Italian Herbs (optional, depending on choice of cheese)
2-3 tbsp Pepper Jack (or cheese of your choice)
1 large egg
pepper (optional)
1 scallion, sliced

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease as many wells of a muffin form as you need. Line each well with a slice of prosciutto. Place tomato slices on top of prosciutto, sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp cheese, then herbs, if using. Crack an egg into each well. (Sprinkle a little bit of pepper onto each egg.) Carefully arrange remaining cheese around egg yolk and sprinkle with scallion. Bake for 12 minutes, so that the egg yolk is still soft and runny (That's how we like it. If you prefer the egg yolk to be set, bake the eggs for about 15 minutes.) Carefully remove baked eggs from the wells with a spoon and serve with your favorite bread.


23 comments:

  1. I have a variation of these in my blog...so good, and so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I got you & you got me...and we both made things with prosciutto from each others blogs!! That's never happened to me with SRC! So neat :) I love that you combined the 2 - very creative. Stop by to see what I made off of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea and a nice way to use your muffin pan for something else! Good recipes of that kind are hard to find!

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh look those little egg nests look lovely and would make for a perfect savoury Sunday Breakfast *takes notes*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked egg cups are soo good! I always have to use bacon tho because I can nevr find Prosciutto. But I bet its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! These would be great to make for a crowd for a brunch since you can bake them in a muffin pan! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very unique! Mine would have to be poached and more cooked but yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fabulous. I love breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great new breakfast recipe for me to try!! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great choice! Can't go wrong with bacon and eggs - I bet these are a perfect breakfast on the go =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful breakfast / brunch dish. I love the ease of baking eggs. Great recipe. I'm sure your friends were amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made many variations of these and they're always a big hit. Great SRC choice.


    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, this looks like the perfect breakfast treat! YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a wonderful start to any day, have bookmarked to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made proscitto egg cups a few months ago, and loved them. Yours look absolutely perfect and delicious, love the pepper jack cheese and tomatoes! Delicious SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For me, the more set the yolk, the better. Maybe 18 minutes for me. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a good idea! This would make a great presentation for a brunch party. Great SRC choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! This looks fabulous! I love that you combined 2 recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is something my family is sure to devour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word says it all...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look awesome! I love the prosciutto. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great way to serve Ham and Eggs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete